03 January 2015

Psalm 139 (trans. Coverdale)

O Lord thou hast searched me out and known me : thou knowest my down-sitting and mine up-rising, thou understandest my thoughts long before.

Thou art about my path and about my bed : and spiest out all my ways.

For lo there is not a word in my tongue : but thou O Lord knowest it altogether.

Thou hast fashioned me behind and before : and laid thine hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful and excellent for me : I cannot attain unto it.
 
Whither shall I go then from thy Spirit : or whither shall I go then from thy presence?

If I climb up into heaven thou art there : if I go down to hell thou art there also.

If I take the wings of the morning : and remain in the uttermost parts of the sea;

Even there also shall thy hand lead me : and thy right hand shall hold me.

If I say, Peradventure the darkness shall cover me : then shall my night be turned to day.

Yea the darkness is no darkness with thee, but the night is as clear as the day : the darkness and light to thee are both alike.

For my reins are thine : thou hast covered me in my mother’s womb.

I will give thanks unto thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made : marvellous are thy works, and that my soul knoweth right well.

My bones are not hid from thee : though I be made secretly, and fashioned beneath in the earth.

Thine eyes did see my substance yet being unperfect : and in thy book were all my members written;

Which day by day were fashioned : when as yet there was none of them.

How dear are thy counsels unto me O God : O how great is the sum of them!

If I tell them, they are more in number than the sand : when I wake up I am present with thee.

Wilt thou not slay the wicked, O God : depart from me ye blood-thirsty men.

For they speak unrighteously against thee : and thine enemies take thy Name in vain.

Do not I hate them O Lord that hate thee : and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

Yea, I hate them right sore : even as though they were mine enemies.

Try me O God, and seek the ground of my heart : prove me and examine my thoughts.

Look well if there be any way of wickedness in me : and lead me in the way everlasting.

No comments: